The Workhouse plays host to a number of small businesses, which have invested in the building, and whose rents help to support the Workhouse. There is a symbiotic relationship between these small businesses and the Trust – the Trust provides them with workplaces subject to rental agreements, and Tenants provide the Trust with a steady stream of income. Some Tenants are also involved in fundraising and the supply of goods and services.
On Open Doors Day, many Tenants open their businesses and allow members of the public to come and watch how they work in a far-reaching educational display. Some Tenants also offer discounted services to members of the Trust, although this is largely an individual matter.
There is also a thriving Tenants’ Association with its own blog.
Current Professional Tenants include:
- Jo Heard – J H Leather – Bespoke hand-made leatherwork.
- Bob Guy – Printmaker
- Dale Marshall-Abstract Artist
- Martin Rich – Nearleigh Works – Model Railway Maker
- John Eddy – Artist
- Georgette Marshall – Casa Georgette and Rapscallion – Interior Design and Needlecraft
- Phil and Jane Lane – The Beehouse Recording Studio
- Mark Burnett – Music Production Teacher
- Tony Skeggs-Musician and Producer
- Lois Bosworth- Kennel Clips – Dog Grooming
- Joe Larmor Jones – Artist
- Steve Winder – Craftsman
You can contact the Tenant as a group via their blog, or individually via their websites, which are also on the blog.